Mallerina Marshall, Director of Title I Programs
478.825.5933 ext. 1014
Title I Part A is a part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). This Act provides federal funds through the Georgia Department of Eduication to local educational agencies (LEAs) and public schools with high numbers or percentages of poor children to help ensure that all children meet challenging State academic content and student academic achievement standards. The purpose of the Title I program is to:
- Help every child receive a high quality education
- Build capacity for parent & family engagement
- Provide professional development for teachers
- Meet the requirements of Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
The schools in Peach County that are eligible for these federal funds are:
- Byron Elementary School - Schoolwide Title I
- Byron Middle School - Schoolwide Title I
- Fort Valley Middle School - Schoolwide Title I
- Hunt Elementary School - Schoolwide Title I
- Kay Road Elementary School - Schoolwide Title I
- Peach County High School - Schoolwide Title I
Title I funds supplement local and state educational programs to ensure all students achieve in all core academic areas (English, Math, Science, and Social Studies). The Title I program offers a variety of services which may include additional teachers, support staff, extra time for instruction, resource materials, smaller classes, family and community engagement, and additional training for staff. Funds may be used to provide additional segments of core instruction by a highly qualified teacher and/or paraprofessional. In addition, they can provide support materials in core subjects, as well as transportation from after school programs and summer academic programs.
Another goal of Title I is to increase parent & family engagement in their child's education. By taking an active role in school, parents show their children that they are valued and that education is important. Children learn that parents and the school are a team working together to help them succeed academically. Each Title I school in Peach County has a Family Engagement Coordinator that works collaboratively with our District Family & Community Engagement Coordinator in recommending and implementing a strong parental engagement program. Please review our District Family Engagement Policy.
There are several "Important Documents" on the bottom right hand side of this page that we invite you to visit. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us here in the Title I office.
Ouida Freeman, Administrative Assistant
Dawn Kinsey-Ogburn, District Famliy & Community Engagement Coordinator